Kirigalpoththa(or Kirigalpotta) mountain is the second tallest mountain in Sri Lanka, reaching upto 2,338 m (7,835 ft) above mean sea level. Located in the district of Nuwara Eliya, Kirigalpoththa is the highest mountain in the country whose summit is accessible to the public.(Pidurutalagala, the highest mountain of Sri Lanka is off-limits to the public.) The only trail to the summit starts from Horton Plains National Park. Sri Lankan leopards, Samburs, and purple-faced langurs live in the grassy plains and cloud forest that surround the trail, though they are rarely seen.
Kirigalpoththa Mountain in Sri Lanka-Trekking details
- Trail Distance : 7km from head to the summit
- TrailHead : Horton Plains Park Office
- Trail End : Kirigalpottha summit
- Time to reach the top : 5 hours
- Recommend starting time : 06. 30 am
- Climb Difficulty : Moderate
- Things to carry : Water bottles, rain coat, sweater, cap/hat and basic first aid kit
- What to wear : Walking shoes with a good grip and ankle support, trekking trousers, warm t-shirt/shirt
- Best time to visit : The best hiking season is from December to April. July and August months are also recommended.
Expect cold, wet weather in the area. Strong winds and cold weather are certain higher up on the path.