Fabulous Things to do in Mirissa in Sri Lanka
Mirissa is a small town on the south coast of Sri Lanka, situated in the Southern Province of Matara. It is about 150 kilometers (93 mi) south of Colombo and is located at an elevation of 4 meters (13 ft) above sea level. The beach and nightlife of Mirissa make it an attractive holiday destination. It is indeed a fishing port and one of the primary whale and dolphin sites on the planet.
Mirissa is among the popular beach destinations in the south of Sri Lanka. The region is full of stunning Sri Lankan beaches, whale watching, surfing waves, and fantastic pubs and restaurants. Mirissa has been growing fast over the past few years and also becoming busier. There are also lots of places where you can appreciate fresh coconut from your hammock, enjoying the sunset. Spend between 2-4 days doing these things in Mirissa.
A quick list of the best things to do in Mirissa in Sri Lanka:
- Whale Watching
- Mirissa Secret Beach
- Coconut Tree Spot
- Parrot Rock
- The Doctor’s House
- Mirissa Beach
Explaining the stuff in more detail now:
1) Whale Watching in Mirissa: Mirissa has got a healthy sea life. For this reason, whale watching tours are provided at the beach. A tour can lead you out to the Indian Ocean to encounter whales, dolphins, and turtles. The best time of the year for whale watching in Mirissa is from the end of November to March.
2) Mirissa Secret Beach: A remote, untouched, secluded beach and a little harder to get to. Here’s the name: Secret Beach. There’s just one little bar and a nearby lady offering coconuts. Enjoy the spectacular sunset of Secret Beach in Mirissa. Find the Secret Beach bar on Google Maps and request the tuk-tuk driver to take you there. You’re going to have to walk about 10 minutes down the road because it’s too steep for the tuk-tuks and other vehicles.
3) Coconut Tree Spot: A remote coconut farm on a hilltop is 15 minutes from Mirissa Beach. The sunset view from here is absolutely breathtaking. It’s surprisingly easy to get here since it’s a place that is available on Google Maps. You can reach it from one of the local restaurants or a short stroll through the water. Be vigilant of coconuts; we have to say from our own observations that coconuts are going to fall from trees.
4) Parrot Rock: In front of Mirissa Beach, there’s a rock out over the water from which you can ascend and then see a bit of the Mirissa region. You would not be able to hit the rock during the high tide because even with the low tide, it may still be a minor challenge.
5) Weligama: Escaping tourism and moving to Weligama for some time at the beach or surfing. Weligama is a peaceful surfer spot, while many of the finest restaurants in Sri Lanka are located here.
6) The Doctor’s House: Prepared for a perfect afternoon surfing party? The Doctors House is the way to go! It’s a 15-minute drive from the city and it’s strongly suggested to explore. The broad garden provides the ideal environment of relaxing, delicious food, beverages, and live music.
7) Surfing: Mirissa Beach is a decent place to begin surfing in Sri Lanka. Waves look fantastic, and because there’s just less crowd, surfers really want to be here. Surfing from October to March for perfect surfing opportunities.
8) Mirissa Beach: Mirissa Beach is busy but a really calming atmosphere. A handful of excellent restaurants are situated on or near the beach, all serving various kinds of cuisine. It’s a perfect way to rest and enjoy the afternoon.
Top Restaurants in Mirissa in Sri Lanka
There are lots of delightful restaurants in and around Mirissa and options for some sort of craving.
- RISE – Italian at Weligama
- Ceylon Curry House – Sri Lankan
- DelTano’s – Pizza & Pasta
- Dewmini roti shop – Sri Lankan
- Little Tuna – Sushi
- Shady Lane – Healthy
- Wood Space – Healthy
- Nomad Cafe – Weligama
Many hotels in the region can make your holiday a memorable one. If you are planning to spend a few days in Mirissa in Sri Lanka, make sure to book one of the below hotels:
- Sea World
- D Canal House
- Mandara Resort
- Mirissa Gare Resort
- Beach Mirissa
- Sounds of Nature Mini Hotel
- Lantern Boutique Hotel by Reveal
- GG Lodge Mirissa
Well, this is perhaps the best thing to do during your vacation, and that’s why we give it a bit of an explanation over here. It’s a world-famous destination for whale watching with an over 90% chance of witnessing whales and dolphins during the peak seasons.
Seeing whales and dolphins in Mirissa is one of the most thrilling water activities you will do throughout your vacation in Sri Lanka. Usually observed blue whales are the world’s largest animals, and Mirissa is the perfect place to watch a whale and dolphin trip in Sri Lanka.
The perfect time to see the whale in Mirissa is from November to April. The ocean is stable and whales move from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere. It’s off-season from May to October: the ocean is hard and it’s not worth it. The odds of spotting whales are very low, and the chances of being seasick are very high.
Mirissa Summary: Well-known Mirissa is a small town and a tourist hot spot on the south coast of Sri Lanka, located in the southern province of Matara. It’s one of the planet’s main whale and dolphin spots. The area is full of beautiful Sri Lankan beaches, whale watching, fishing, and great pubs and restaurants. Mirissa has grown quickly over the last few years and is becoming busier. The perfect time of the year to see the whale in Mirissa is from the end of November to March. Doctor’s House Surfing is a perfect spot to surf and watch a wonderful sunset.
Weligama is a peaceful surfer location, and several of the finest restaurants in Sri Lanka are located here. Mirissa is a world-famous whale watching attraction with over 90 percent likelihood of watching whales and dolphins at peak seasons. A handful of excellent restaurants are clustered on or near the beach, all offering distinct kinds of cuisine. A lot of hotels in the area will make your holiday in Mirissa an unforgettable one.
Contact Overa Tours for planning your Mirissa holiday in perfect style. We are a leading Sri Lanka travel agent with years of experience in the tourism industry.