Tourism In Colombo Explained: The name Colombo always goes with the term “Luxury.” The high-rate development taking place after the end of the Civil War is notably revolutionizing this stunning city, making it more and more perfect for tourism and vacationing. This fascinating city comprises some of the world’s famous hotels for tropical holidays, and dedicated nightclubs for tourists that are the highlight of its thrilling nightlife.
Things to do and what to see here are within the World’s Best holiday activity list. Did you know that almost a hundred of Colombo tourist attractions are there? The land area of Colombo in Sri Lanka is not even 38km². So, a staggering number of notable tourist attractions naturally placed, making it a complete vacationing town. Dedicated shopping stores for tourists sell traditional handicrafts, and the uniqueness of those beautiful ornaments undoubtedly deserves a place in your display cabinet.
Hotels In Colombo: No travel destination would be a so-called luxury travel spot without luxury resorts and hotels, and this city has it in abundance. About 660 hotels of different classes wait here to provide you accommodation from the beginning to the end of your holiday for a lifetime.
A quick tip: Colombo in Sri Lanka is a hub of Asia’s luxury hotels, making it a top choice for VIP & luxury holidays and honeymoons.
Colombo Tourist Attractions — The “Top” List
Tourist attractions in Colombo are no ordinary ones. Many of the things to do in Colombo have a notable connection with these top attractions. We include a “quick list” for your convenience:
1) Gangaramaya Temple: One of the most famous religious tourist attractions in Colombo.
2) National Museum of Colombo: This is the biggest museum on the island.
3) Independence Memorial Hall: Another attractive tourist place in Colombo.
4) Galle Face Green: A picnic attraction in Colombo.
5) Jami Ul-Alfar Mosque: One of the top culturally vibrant places to witness in Colombo in Sri Lanka.
6) Viharamahadevi Park: This is the largest park in Colombo.
7) Dutch Period Museum: The unique architecture and the collection of personal belongings of several Dutch rulers make this a top Colombo tourist attraction.
8) Old Parliament Building: Built in the year 1930, this majestic colonial building was Sri Lanka’s parliament in 1977.
9) Beira Lake: A must-visit with the Gangaramaya Temple in Colombo. An iconic temple called the Seemamalakaya in the lake’s center, enhances the beauty of the lake.
10) Pettah Floating Market: One of the most exciting shopping places in Colombo in Sri Lanka.
11) Barefoot: Perhaps the best place to buy woven garments.
12) The World Trade Centre twin-building: The tallest buildings in Sri Lanka, and one of the famous Colombo tourist attractions.
13) Manning Market: One of the oldest and famous markets in Colombo.
14) Laksala: This is the only state-run souvenir shop in Sri Lanka. As well as a top tourist place, this deserves a place on the things to do in Colombo list. It is a unique shopping experience.
15) St Anthony’s Church: A famous church in Sri Lanka that welcomes people from all religions. Even Buddhist citizens visit this holy church.
16) Attidiya Bird Sanctuary: The home for over 50 beautiful bird species; this place is gaining popularity as one of the top tourist attractions in Colombo.
17) Dehiwala Zoo: The most famous zoo on the island; about 2500 mammals live here in healthy settings.
18) Old Galle Buck Lighthouse: This iconic lighthouse has stood in Colombo since 1954, and is spectacular for great views of the Indian Ocean.
19) Old Dutch Hospital: One of the top tourist attractions in Colombo due to historical significance. The old hospital building became a part of Colombo back in the 17th century.
20) Traditional Puppet Art Museum: This is the best place to witness multi-colored Sri Lankan puppets and puppet shows.
21) Leisure World: A 52-acre extensive theme park in Colombo in Sri Lanka. This is also one of the best things to do in Colombo due to the adventurous experience you can enjoy over here.
22) Old City Hall: The Old City Hall on the main street is without a doubt one of the best attractions in Colombo, packed with architecture and history.
23) Mount Lavinia: Mount Lavinia Hotel is one of the most famous hotels on the entire island. The Mount Lavinia Beach is famous for the golden sunset and charming views of the Laccadive sea.
24) Colombo Port Maritime Museum: This renovated museum has much historical information, items, and artifacts. The years of establishment (1676) makes it one of the top tourist attractions in Colombo. Also, the port museum is one of the oldest attractions that make tourism in Colombo so famous in the world.
25) Bellagio: A highly-renowned casino in Colombo in Sri Lanka. You can play Three Card Poker, Back Jack, and poker here.
26) Bally’s Casino: The king of all casinos in Colombo. A luxurious spa and bar complete the casino, and you can experience the city nightlife in the finest settings here.
27) Sri Ponnambalawaneswaram Kovil: A beautiful Hindu temple built with south granite. This Hindu temple is one of the biggest Hindu worshiping sites on the entire island. The distinct features of this majestic Hindu temple make it perfectly fit within the list of top Colombo Attractions.
28) Temple of Sri Kailawasanathan Swami Devasthanam Kovil: A 200-year-old colorful Hindu temple (this is the oldest Hindu temple in Colombo in Sri Lanka.)
29) National Art Gallery: Sri Lanka’s culture and art meet here. You can buy world-class paintings created by the country’s famous artist here. Renowned as one of the best tourist attractions in Colombo for the past few decades.
30) Colombo Lotus Tower: We end our Colombo tourist attractions list with a modern wonder. The tallest tower on the island, and one of the top unique structures in Sri Lanka. You got to visit this modern wonder.
Colombo In Sri Lanka For Holidays:
While many other world-famous travel destinations exist on this glorious land, but this city is also yet another spectacular land area for family, honeymoon, and group holidays. Beaches, city life, endless shopping, luxury hotels, busy streets, the Indian Ocean, majestic temples, gigantic Hindu Kovils, museums, and tourist attractions of various kinds clustered in stunning Colombo.
Visit Colombo In Sri Lanka With Overa Tours: We are holiday-planning experts. We masterly arrange family, honeymoon, and group holidays across Sri Lanka, and we have special packages and tours exclusively made covering the all-in-one Colombo. Contact us today for more information.